The 48th Highlanders Regimental Memorial stands at the north end of Queen’s Park Circle in Toronto. Unveiled in 1923 by Governor General Lord Byng, it was designed by Eric Halenby and Mathers Wilson. The column is constructed of granite with bronze plaques. It marks the regiment’s battle honours in South Africa, WW1 and WW2. The dedication reads:
To the glorious memory of those who died and to the undying honour of those who served. This monument is erected by their regiment the 48th Highlanders of Canada
DILEAS GU BRATH
The motto is Gaelic for “faithful forever”.
The 48th Highlanders are an infantry reserve regiment based in Toronto since the regiment was founded in 1891. They were in the first contingent of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) to head to England in autumn 1914. The regiment lost 61 officers and 1406 men in WW1.
A 1926 Armistice Day photo of the memorial is on the Toronto Public Library site.