Arthur’s Memorial Park is at the corner of George and Frederick Streets in the centre of town. Several elements in the park make this memorial distinctive.
The main cenotaph was the first in Ontario made with fieldstone, gathered from area farms. First dedicated in 1923, it was rebuilt in 1995 to bring the plaques from different conflicts together. The plaques list all who served, as well as the 40 killed in action.
In the walkway in front of the cenotaph, a plaque recounts the work of the Women’s Memorial Association. It was added in 2010. Good thought, yet only one woman is named and she is remembered only as an appendage of her husband. For the record, Mary Catherine Brocklebank unveiled the cenotaph.
The mural was added in 2014. Muralist Cliff Smith was inspired by original artwork by Scott Cherry.
The “Most Patriotic Village” moniker dates from the Second World War. One in seven of Arthur’s population of 836 were in the Canadian Armed Forces, the highest proportion of any community in Canada. Over the course of the war, the villagers raised $250,000 in war bonds, almost two-thirds the assessed value of the taxable property in the village and more per capita than any other community in Canada.