Eight large paintings from the Canadian War Memorials Fund were loaned to Parliament in 1921 for temporary display in the new Centre Block. Just as another temporary measure of WW1 – income taxes – is still with us, the paintings became a permanent part of the Senate Chamber.
The public tour admits groups only to the back of the chamber, so it is hard to get a good photo. The Senators get the best view.
Opposition Senators get a good view of the west wall. From left to right:
- Railway Construction in France, Leonard Richmond
- A Mobile Veterinary Unit in France, Algernon Talmage
- Arras, the Dead City, James Kerr-Lawson
- The Watch on the Rhine (The Last Phase), William Rothenstein
Government Senators get a good view of the east wall. From left to right:
- On Leave, Claire Atwood
- Returning to the Reconquered Land, George Clausen
- The Cloth Hall, Ypres, James Kerr-Lawson
- Landing of the First Canadian Division at Saint-Nazaire, 1915, Edgar Bundy
You can see more about each painting on the Senate website. Alas, parl.ca, the new Parliamentary website, no longer describes each painting.