This window dominates the east side of St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, at the corner of Wellington and Kent Streets in downtown Ottawa.
The theme of the memorial is: The Angel of Peace, radiant in light, free and unfettered, bringing the divine message of hope and ultimate triumph to humanity. Dominating all is the Christ in Majesty, and the supreme symbols, Alpha and Omega, in recognition that Emmanuel – “God with us” – is a reality.
The Angel is boldly portrayed as a young man, with arms extended in deliverance, illustrating the words: AND THERE SHALL BE NO MORE DEATH.
Below this are grouped figures of types representing Adventure (Explorer), Knowledge (Scholar), Sacrifice, in pursuit of high and unselfish ends (Knight) – the keynote of the Memorial – Statesmanship (King), Industry (Craftsman), Patience (Womanhood), Confidence and Courage (Youth).
The window was unveiled on December 13, 1925 by Governor General Byng of Vimy. It was designed by James Ballantine, FSA Scot, Edinburgh, at a cost of about $7000.
Note Margaret Smith amongst the names on the window. More about her in a later post.