The Brampton Cenotaph stands in Memorial Square at the corner of Wellington St W and Main St S, beside the City Hall. It was designed by Toronto architect Mackenzie Waters and unveiled on July 4, 1928 by Governor General Lord Willingdon.
The pylon is carved from light grey Canadian granite. A 1993 pamphlet to mark the 75th Remembrance Day service states: The Memorial expresses a symbol of Service in a gradual rise from the level of inaction through service and sacrifice to great achievement rewarded by the Wreath of Victory.
The bronze crest of what was then the Town of Brampton fronts a vault holding a book with the names the Brampton residents who died in the war. Inscription below the crest: To perpetuate the Memory of our Glorious Dead and to gratefully recognize the sacrifice of the Men of Brampton in the Great War, 1914 – 1918. Inscription on the opposite side: These thought not of self but gave their lives for us. Battle names are inscribed on the four sides.
Photos from the City of Toronto Archives show the cenotaph on the day it was unveiled. Unveiling by Governor General, City of Toronto Archives, Globe and Mail fonds, Fonds 1266, Item 14065. Surrounded by wreaths, City of Toronto Archives, Globe and Mail fonds, Fonds 1266, Item 14069.