After WW1, the City of Calgary renamed Sunnyside Blvd as Memorial Drive. From 1922 to 1928, 3278 trees were planted along Memorial Drive – one for each soldier from Southern Alberta who died in the war. The living memorial was designed to bring solace to grieving families who did not have graves to visit.
Most of the trees were poplars. Some were removed from Memorial Drive over the years, due to disease, road widening, or just old age. (The lifespan of poplars is about 100 years.) The City of Calgary started to clone the trees to replace the originals. The area has been revitalized into a “landscape of memory.” The linear park between the road and the Bow River is a popular route for pedestrians and cyclists.
More about the newer additions to Memorial Drive in later posts.