The Cathedral Church of St James, Mother House for the Anglican Diocese of Toronto, stands at the corner of King St E and Church St. The Cathedral Cross stands in the park to the west of the cathedral.
The dedication faces Church St: “this cross commemorates the glorious sacrifice of those who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918 and appeals to those for whom they died to lay aside hatred and strife and to seek brotherhood and peace under the banner of Christ.” Names are carved on the other three sides. The north and south sides are worn and more difficult to read.
The memorial was designed by the architectural firm of Sproatt and Rolph (who also designed the soldiers’ tower at U of T) and was dedicated in 1924. ‘Cathedral cross’ refers to a war memorial erected by a cathedral church, even if it is not in the shape of a cross. This one matches the gothic revival style of the cathedral itself.
A photo of the November 1924 service at the memorial cross (likely the dedication) is on the Toronto Public Library website.