German weapons captured by Canadians were popular trophies of war in the years immediately following the armistice. Shipley describes the demand for them from municipalities and other groups large and small. But as time wore on, the displayed weapons rusted and they became a public hazard. They were also a reminder of events people wanted to forget. Many war trophies became scrap metal in WW2. (To Mark Our Place, p 162-164)
The hamlet of Gooderham (now part of the Municipality of Highlands East) erected a fieldstone cenotaph in 1921. A German machine gun remains intact as an integral feature.
The municipality has created an online map to honour some of its veterans. Scroll down to see a 1915 photo of the crowd gathered at the Gooderham railway station to see soldiers off to war.