Montreal’s La Fontaine Park is the site of a monument to French soldiers from Montreal and Canadian volunteers in the French Army who died in WW1 (and later in WW2). Place du Souvenir-français is a quiet area of the park between Émile-Duployé and Papineau Avenues, on the north side of Sherbrooke Street East.
The project was initiated by Le Souvenir français, the French organization charged with maintaining war memorials. The Art Deco monument features the heads of two soldiers in relief, and bands of laurel and maple leaves. The names of 108 who fell for France are listed on the sides, 102 French soldiers and six Canadian volunteers in the French army. The monument was designed by sculptor Pierre-André Normandeau and architect Jean-Baptiste Soucy. It was unveiled by a young girl who was a war orphan, in the presence of Quebec Premier Taschereau and other dignitaries on Bastille Day, 14 July 1931.