Some war memorials get around. Some get caught up in the changing machinations of remembrance.
This memorial stands in front of the Markdale Hospital of the Grey-Bruce Health Services, at the corner of Main St W and Argyle St. A centre plaque lists those from the Markdale community who gave their lives in the Great War. It is flanked by plaques commemorating those who served. Two nursing sisters are named on the left plaque: Laura Adams and May Devitt.
The three stone WW1 plaques were originally erected in 1923 in the Markdale Cemetery. In 1971, the cemetery vault was moved and the commemorative plaques were moved to the Markdale Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. In 1979, a new black marble cenotaph was unveiled by the Legion in front of the hospital. In 1983, the old plaques (along with some for WW2) were placed behind the new cenotaph. In 2011, an even newer cenotaph was dedicated in the memorial grove beside the municipal office.
In 2015, the 1979 black marble monument moved 10 km down the road to Flesherton. You can see the plinth from which it was moved in front of the flagpole. It would have blocked a clear view of the original Markdale plaques. Now it blocks a clear view of the Flesherton cenotaph.