The cenotaph in Renfrew centres Low Square in front of the town hall, on Raglan St S at Railway Ave. It honours the men of the community killed in WW1, as well as the man who gave money to build it.
The grey granite cenotaph is fronted by the oft-cited verse from Laurence Binyon’s poem For the Fallen. Names of the men of the vicinity who died overseas are on the reverse side. Battles are listed front and back – Ypres, Vimy Ridge, Mons, Somme, Passchendaele, Amiens.
Thomas Andrew Low, a local entrepreneur, Member of Parliament and cabinet minister, had paid to turn an old square into a park in 1918. He later gave money to build the cenotaph. It was dedicated in 1931, months after Low’s death. Low’s gift is acknowledged on the front of the cenotaph, and on a plaque in the park.