At the corner of Main St N (County Road 25) and Amaranth St, the centre of the village in Grand Valley, a cenotaph is dedicated “in honoured memory of the men of Grand Valley and East Luther, Amaranth and East Garafraxa Townships who died in the Great War.” It was erected in 1920, and rededicated in 1949 with the addition of side blocks for those killed in WW2. It was spared when a tornado hit the area in May 1985.
A laurel wreath encircles the years 1914-1919, beneath the caption “their name liveth for ever more.” Battles are listed on the other three sides: Ypres, Hooge, St. Eloi, Vimy, Sanctuary Wood, Festubert, Neuve Chappele, Passchendaele, Douai, Somme, Givenchy, Arras.
The Honour Roll lists 31 names: Sidney R Baker, Austin A Reilly, William Penney, A Herbert Atkinson, Wilbert S Reilly, Frederick Pacey, Bert Moss, Reuben G Gillespie, William J Gillespie, Clifford Moss, James Brown, Wilfred O’Reilly, Stanley Brown, Frederick Rainey, Garfield St Croix, Frank Eades, Wm. A McKee, Anstead E Gordon, WH Linklater, Joseph M Gordon, Samuel McComb, James W McDonald, James H Eastwood, Noble C Potter, Henry A Mottart, Frederick Berry, Lewis A Rounding, Robert Ewing, Clifford N Hills, Harry R Conlin, Robert J. McGowan.