It would be easy to miss Holstein, let alone its war memorial. The village stretches for about 500 m on Grey County Rd 109 north of Southgate Rd 12. But the war memorial lists 114 names – those from the village and surrounding township who served overseas, 18 of whom died.
The memorial was dedicated in 1920 “in loving memory of the men from Egremont Township who gave up their lives while serving King and Country during the Great War, 1914 – 1918.” A soldier stands atop the granite column of names.
An interesting article by WJ Smart in the 10 November 2007 Toronto Star tells about some of those men, and the women of the community who pushed for the monument.
Amongst the names are three nursing sisters. Alice Swanston served with the Canadian Army Medical Corps in England and France, then worked at the Belcher Veterans Hospital in Calgary after the war. Winnie (Winnifred) Dawson served with CAMC in England. Agnes M Mark served with Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service.