In 1914, the City of Soissons started work on a monument to pay tribute to its rich history. When the monument was completed in 1926, it had a dual role, paying tribute as well to the citizens of Soissons who died in the Great War.
The limestone monument, created by sculptor Albert Bartholomé, is on Place Fernand Marquigny, behind the cathedral.
The Brockville war memorial stands at the centre of town, at the foot of Court House Ave where it meets King St W. It was unveiled on 23 May 1924 at a ceremony attended by thousands of veterans, citizens and dignitaries.
On 28 November 1928, a grey granite cenotaph was “erected in honour of the men of Madoc and vicinity who gave their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918” in the village of Madoc. It stands in what is now Thomas Thompson Park at 155 St Lawrence Street East. The Madoc Women’s Institute spearheaded the project.
A sword entwined with a laurel wreath tops the monument. Battles are listed between the sword and dedication (Somme, Festubert, Vimy Ridge, Passchendaele) and on each side (Ypres, Mons). Names are listed on either side:
A long-departed British monarch still lends her birthday to a holiday that marks the unofficial start of summer in Canada, and her name to the highest military honour awarded for valour in the face of the enemy. Victoria Day weekend – a good time to remember those awarded the Victoria Cross in WW1. Here’s a look back at some VCs featured on Great War 100 Reads.
Le monuments aux morts (monument to the dead) in Arras stands in Place du Maréchal Foch in front of the Hotel Angleterre, facing the train station. The work of sculptor Félix-Alexandre Desruelles, the limestone monument was dedicated on 22 November 1931.
The epitaph is Arras : à ses enfants morts pour la défense du droit. (Arras: to its children who died for the defense of right.)
Memorial Gates mark the George Street entrance to Lockwood Park and Field in Westport, Ontario. The four limestone posts and iron gates were built in 1919 or 1920 by stonemason HW Thake. Money for the construction was raised by the local Women’s Institute. A plaque honouring 11 local men killed in WW1 is on the right-hand post. The plaque was refurbished and rededicated in 2021.
A war memorial for the City of Hull, Quebec (now Gatineau) was first conceived in the 1930s, but not dedicated until 11 November 1992. Plus jamais la guerre – Monument à la paix et au souvenir (War Never Again – Monument to Peace and Remembrance) stands at the NE corner of boul Alexandre Taché and boul St-Joseph, in front of the Salaberry Armoury. The concrete, steel and granite monument bears a double message: remembering those who suffered because of war, and seeking peace and harmony for the future.
A small marble statue of a soldier stands on a granite base at the corner County Road 15 and Main Street in North Augusta, a village in Augusta Township, United Counties of Leeds and Grenville, Ontario. A nearby plaque speaks to a 2011 restoration of the monument, but gives no other history. Other than the names, only the word MEMORUM is on the base.
Fifteen names are on the base, 13 of local men killed in WW1: