Lots going on in Veteran’s Memorial Park, where Main St S (Hwy 6) meets Miller St and Parkside Dr in Mount Forest: Continue reading
A monument “in loving memory of our fallen comrades” in Acton’s Fairview Cemetery has seen better days.
According to the Acton Legion history, monument dealer John Nicol donated the original Soldiers’ Memorial in May 1920. It was placed by the Great War Veterans Association in front of the Acton Soldiers Memorial Home at 55 Mill St E (now the MacKinnon Family Funeral Home). Six months later, the community cenotaph was dedicated across the street. In 1923, the GWVA monument was moved to the GWVA plot in Section R of Fairview Cemetery. Continue reading
In Flanders fields the poppies grow …
Inspired by John McCrae’s poem, poppies are a common sign of remembrance. Continue reading
The end of WW1 saw a proliferation of veterans groups and regimental associations working to help returned soldiers in Canada. Their fragmented efforts did not lead to great success. Several groups came together to form the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League in 1926. This history is evident on the facade of the Canadian Legion Calgary (Alberta No. 1) Branch at 116 – 7 Avenue SE. Continue reading