Another week close to home, featuring the many war memorials in Eastern Ontario.
Two Methodist (now United) churches, 6 km apart, in what is now North Dundas Township in the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry. Two small communities that remembered their young men who served and died in WW1 with cenotaphs similar in size and style. A plinth is topped with a rough granite slab with the years 1914-1918, on which is a polished granite carved with the names, on which is a stele decorated with a wreath of maple leaves. Both were likely erected by the same local monuments company.
Another week close to home, finding the many war memorials in Eastern Ontario.
On 11 November 1935, a memorial – local in every way – was dedicated “in memory of those from Finch Township who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 – 1918.” The Berwick Women’s Institute was responsible for the project. Area farmers gave fieldstones to build the cairn on which a plaque was set. The cost was covered by a $100 donation from a local doctor, $25 from the Finch Township Council and proceeds of $149.65 from the dinner sponsored by the Women’s Institute.