The 34-storey headquarters of the Canadian Bank of Commerce (now known as Commerce Court North) was the tallest building in the Commonwealth from 1931 to 1962. Built at a time when banks were temples, this art deco temple incorporates a memorial to bank staff killed in WW1. Continue reading
April 9-12 marks the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, part of the Battle of Arras. On a snowy Easter Monday in 1917, the four divisions of the Canadian Corps fought together for the first (and only) time. Training and tactics won the ridge, but at the cost of about 3,600 Canadian lives. Continue reading
Mary A McKenzie, Sarah Ellen Garbutt, Margaret Lowe, Dorothy Mary Baldwin, Matilda Green. These five women are remembered on a brass tablet in the Ontario Legislative Building (Queen’s Park), on the second floor of the west wing, near the landing outside the Legislative Chamber. They were nursing sisters who had served in the Ontario Military Hospital at Orpington, England, and who died during the war. Continue reading
Each soldier tells a story.
A front page headline in the 22 January 1917 issue of the Toronto Globe declared: “Popular Officer Killed, Four People Injured, at Toronto Station … Col WC MacDonald Killed by Light Engine … Shocking Accident at Union Station after Departure of Troop Train.” Continue reading
Happy Boxing Day … a day for shopping or giving. Eaton’s department store embodied both during WW1. The Eaton family and company contributed to the war effort in many ways: it delivered on military contracts at cost and John Eaton gave $100,000 to outfit a mobile unit known as the Eaton’s Machine Gun Battery, to name two examples. The company also paid the wages of its employees who enlisted … full pay for married men, half pay for single men. Over 3000 employees enlisted, of whom 315 died. Each enlisting employee’s photo was displayed in the store. Continue reading
’Tis the season of busy travel. Rushed commuters and travellers passing through Billy Bishop Airport on Toronto Island may miss the many tributes to the man for whom the airport is named. A sculpture in the lobby of the mainland entrance pavilion (near the elevators to the tunnel) marks the first meeting of Billy Bishop and William Barker – two Canadian flying aces.
From the plaque next to the statue:
William (Billy) Avery Bishop, VC, CB, DSO & Bar, MC, DFC, Chevalier de la Légion d’honneur, Croix de guerre avec palmes (2) and William George Barker, VC, DSO & Bar, MC & Two Bars, Italian Silver Medal for Valour (2), Croix de guerre were two of the greatest Fighter Pilots of the First World War. Continue reading
Each soldier tells a story.
Amongst the plaques in St James Cathedral at the corner of King St E and Church St in Toronto:
In loving memory of Charles Alexander Moss, Major, Third Battalion, Toronto Regiment, born at Toronto, June the 19th, 1872, wounded in the advance on Regina Trench, Somme, on the morning of October the 8th, 1916, died at Rouen, October the 24th, 1916. Continue reading
British nurse Edith Cavell was executed on October 12, 1915 for helping Allied soldiers escape occupied Belgium. Her death became a rallying cry for the Allies.
The Edith Cavell Memorial Society in Toronto raised money for a memorial to Cavell and Canadian nurses, and sought permission from the Toronto General Hospital to place it on the hospital grounds at the SE corner of College and University Avenues. Florence Wyle was chosen to design the sculpture. Continue reading
Every soldier tells a story.
Elmes Pollock Henderson was born in Toronto on 27 Jun 1885, the son of Elmes and Frederica Jane Henderson. In 1906, he graduated from the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario, and obtained a commission in the Indian Army. In 1907, he was posted to the 106th Hazara Pioneers, the regiment in which he spent the rest of his career. He is on the right in the back row of a 1913 photo of the British and Native officers of the 106th Hazara Pioneers (National Army Museum image number 139238). Continue reading
The Cathedral Church of St James, Mother House for the Anglican Diocese of Toronto, stands at the corner of King St E and Church St. The Cathedral Cross stands in the park to the west of the cathedral. Continue reading